Clean Or Change The Filter
You may have a clogged dishwasher filter thats preventing water from draining. Many homeowners dont realize that dishwasher filters need to be cleaned regularly. Check your owners manual to see where the filter is located on your dishwasher, and for instructions on how and when to clean it. For many dishwashers, the filter can be found on the inside bottom of the appliance.
Why Is My Ge Dishwasher Not Draining And How To Fix
Are you having trouble with your GE dishwasher not draining properly? A dishwasher is a great appliance to have in any home and when it doesnt work properly, it can cause quite a hassle. Fortunately, most issues with GE dishwashers not draining are common enough to diagnose and easily fix.
In this guide, we will discuss the most common causes of a GE Dishwasher not draining and how you can take the steps to fix them. First, well cover the typical warning signs that your dishwasher is not draining correctly. Then, we will go through each of the possible causes for your issue and explain how to diagnose them. Finally, we will give you our best tips for getting your dishes cleanly dried in no time!
Causes Of Dishwasher Not Draining
A dishwasher that isnt draining properly can cause a lot of frustration and headache. Fortunately, there are typically only a few common causes that can be easily fixed. This article will go over some of the most common causes of dishwasher not draining, as well as how to troubleshoot and fix the problem. Read on to learn more and get your dishwasher draining again.
You May Like: Are Sodastream Bottles Dishwasher Safe
How Often Should I Clean My Ge Dishwasher
You should clean your GE dishwasher at least once a month to prevent the build-up of dirt and grime. To clean your dishwasher, start by running an empty cycle with vinegar or lemon juice in the detergent dispenser. Then, wipe down the inside of the dishwasher, including the door gasket, seal, and control panel. Finally, clean the filters according to your models instructions.
How To Fix A Dishwasher Not Draining
If your GE dishwasher is not draining properly, there may be a few possible causes. It could be due to a clogged drain hose, blocked filter, or something more serious. Before spending money on a technician, lets look at some ways you can troubleshoot and fix the problem yourself. Read on to learn more about the possible causes and solutions for a dishwasher not draining.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Mold From Dishwasher
Check The Drain Solenoid Kit
If you still havent found the cause of your GE dishwasher not draining, the next component to check is the drain solenoid. The solenoid opens the drain valve so that water can drain out of the dishwasher.
To check if it is faulty:
Obstruction In Water Intake Valve:
This is very common and can be caused by many things such as hair, soap scum, food particles, etc.
To clear the obstruction:
- Remove the detergent trap and check it for debris. Clean or replace if necessary.
- Make sure the sump pump is working properly and that the water intake valve on the bottom of the dishwasher is opening and closing properly.
- In addition, make sure that there arent any objects that are getting sucked into the dishwasher that are blocking these openings. This can cause damage to your dishwasher and even a fire hazard!
Still Experiencing Dishwasher Issues Call On The Experts
A little troubleshooting and dishwasher maintenance can go a long way in ensuring your appliance is performing at its best. However, some issues can be difficult to pinpointor too complex to resolve on your own. Rest assured, the expert technicians at GE Appliances Factory Services are here to help. Book an appointment with us online and we’ll quickly get to the bottom of your dishwasher problem, so you can get back to enjoying sparkling dishes in no time.
Check For Installation Issues
Many issues can occur if your GE dishwasher is not installed correctly. If your GE dishwasher not draining continues to be a problem, you will need to check for installation issues. Some of these issues include: air-gaps not being properly installed within the drain hose the drain hose has a drain loop that is attached incorrectly to your GE dishwasher or an issue with your garbage disposal that is connected to your GE dishwashing machine.
Recommended Reading: Dishwasher Repair Charles Town Wv
Ge Dishwasher Not Draining Repair Guide
Is your dishwasher not draining properly? If not, it certainly is notcleaning your dishes, not to mention the smell. Fortunately, this dishwasherrepair guide will guide you in repairing your dishwasher. These are the samesteps I take in repairing dishwashers professionally. So read each sectioncarefully until your dishwasher is repaired.
Before you start working on your dishwasher, check where the drain connectsto your sink. Often this clogs and you can clean it out with a screwdriver. Now,if you have just installed a garbage disposal, check to make sure you knockedthe plug out the dishwasher drain adapter.
If the main pump isnt running the dishwasher will not drain, if this is thecase
The first four sections apply only to GE dishwashers. If you have a Whirlpooldishwasher or any other brand skip to the last section. Note that none of thefirst four parts I mentioned below are on all GE dishwashers, but at least onewill be on most and some have all four.
Below is an example of a bad piston valve and a good piston valve.
Bad Piston Valve
Notice how the rubber in the center or worn to the point that itwill no longer plug the hole. When this happens the dishwasher will notcompletely pump out.
Good Piston Valve
Piston valves can be purchased at AppliancePartsPros.com.
Disability Profiles Supported In Our Website
- Epilepsy Safe Mode: this profile enables people with epilepsy to use the website safely by eliminating the risk of seizures that result from flashing or blinking animations and risky color combinations.
- Visually Impaired Mode: this mode adjusts the website for the convenience of users with visual impairments such as Degrading Eyesight, Tunnel Vision, Cataract, Glaucoma, and others.
- Cognitive Disability Mode: this mode provides different assistive options to help users with cognitive impairments such as Dyslexia, Autism, CVA, and others, to focus on the essential elements of the website more easily.
- ADHD Friendly Mode: this mode helps users with ADHD and Neurodevelopmental disorders to read, browse, and focus on the main website elements more easily while significantly reducing distractions.
- Blindness Mode: this mode configures the website to be compatible with screen-readers such as JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, and TalkBack. A screen-reader is software for blind users that is installed on a computer and smartphone, and websites must be compatible with it.
- Keyboard Navigation Profile : this profile enables motor-impaired persons to operate the website using the keyboard Tab, Shift+Tab, and the Enter keys. Users can also use shortcuts such as M , H , F , B , and G to jump to specific elements.
Don’t Miss: Bosch 500 Series Dishwasher Sale
Use Vinegar To Clean And De
If your GE dishwasher is not cleaning dishes properly, one possible reason is that it is clogged. Vinegar is a natural cleaning agent that can help clean and de-clog your dishwasher. To use vinegar to clean your dishwasher, simply add one cup of vinegar to the bottom of the dishwasher and run a normal cycle. The vinegar will help remove any build-up in the dishwasher and improve its performance.
Cause # : Incomplete Wash Cycle
Your GE dishwasher may not complete a cycle randomly. It can cause draining problems.
Solution: Check why your dishwasher is not completing the wash cycle properly. It can happen due to improper loading, overloading, selecting the wrong cycle, pre-rinsing your dishes, and door problems. The best way to get rid of an incomplete washing cycle is to reset your machine. You can reset your GE dishwasher by holding the start/stop button for 3-5 seconds.
You May Like: Can Stasher Bags Go In The Dishwasher
Replace The Float Switch
In some cases of dishwasher not draining, the issue may lie with the float switch. The float switch is designed to shut off the flow of water when it rises above a set limit to prevent flooding. Over time, it can become clogged with debris from regular use that prevents it from working properly. Replacing the float switch is a relatively straightforward procedure that should take approximately 30 minutes depending on how much access you have to the back of your dishwasher. Here are some steps to help you get started:
1. Turn off power to the dishwasher by unplugging it or shutting off the breaker in your homes breaker box. Make sure that all knobs are secured in the off position before continuing.
2. Locate the float switch inside your dishwasher and disconnect any wiring connected to it as well as any hoses or other components attached to it.
3. Prepare and install your new replacement float switch by connecting all necessary hoses and wiring before securing it tightly with nuts and bolts.
4. Reconnect all hoses and wiring you disconnected from the original float switch and make sure all fittings are tight before testing out your machine by running a cycle with hot water only so you can ensure everything is functioning correctly without any leftover debris from previous washes entering in again when you fill up again during regular washing cycles.
Clogged Drain Pump Filter
The most common culprit behind a dishwasher not draining is a clogged drain pump filter. Located at the bottom of the dishwasher, the filter keeps large food particles from entering the pump. Over time, food scraps can accumulate and eventually prevent water from draining properly. If your dishwasher does not appear to be draining properly, you should check for signs of a clogged filter.
To access the drain pump filter, start by unplugging the power cord or disconnecting power at the circuit breaker box. Tip the dishwasher forward while supporting it with one hand to create an opening in front of the sump assembly. Locate and open up either side of the small round plastic cover that covers the filter area by inserting a flat blade screwdriver into either side of the cover and turning it counterclockwise until it pops off. You may need to remove some screws before you can access this area.
Read Also: Drain Hose For Kitchenaid Dishwasher
Why Is My Ge Dishwasher Not Cleaning Dishes
There could be a few reasons why your GE dishwasher isnt cleaning dishes the way it should. Check to see if any of the following is causing the issue:
Troubleshoot Your Ge Dishwasher
GE dishwashers are known for their longevity and quality. But even these highly regarded dishwashers can develop issues that might lead you to look for ways to fix your appliance.
As with any appliance that gets used regularly, you might experience some challenges with your GE dishwasher as parts get worn out or break down and need repair or replacement. Fortunately, many dishwasher appliance-repair strategies and troubleshooting tips are DIY, so you can take care of them yourself. Rather than let your dirty dishes pile up, see if these solutions might work for your washer.
This article walks you through common issues you might experience with your GE dishwasher and how you can resolve them.
Also Check: When Do Dishwashers Go On Sale
Replace The Drain Valve
If your GE dishwasher does not seem to be draining correctly, the issue might be due to a faulty or clogged drain valve. This is an important part of the dishwasher that is responsible for controlling the flow of water from the tub and out through the water drain hose. To replace the valve, you will need to disconnect power from your dishwasher and remove all hoses connected to it. You will then need to remove any screws or clips still holding the valve in place, being careful not to bend any of them during removal. Once this is done, you can install your new valve by reconnecting all hoses and securely fastening any screws or clips that were originally there. Be sure to use plumbers tape around each connection point before tightening in order to ensure a tight seal and prevent potential leaks. After reinstalling the new drain valve and testing it, if it still isnt draining correctly it may be time to call a qualified technician for further assistance on resolving your dishwasher woes!
Ge Dishwasher Is Not Working
If your GE dishwasher isnt turning on, youre likely wondering what the problem could be. Is it a fuse? A circuit breaker? Something else entirely? check the No Power to GE Dishwasher troubleshooting guide, well walk you through the most common causes of this issue so that you can get your dishwasher running again in no time!
Check The Drain Line Leak:
If you have a stainless steel drain line, you may need to. This is a pretty frequent issue with older homes that have copper plumbing.
Even if your home was built with PEX or plastic plumbing, its still a good idea to replace the drain line if possible.
To replace it:
- Remove the access panel from the dishwashers bottom.
- Then, unscrew the two screws holding the plastic retaining ring in place.
- Remove the ring and check the drain line for leaks.
If there is a leak, use a solution of baking soda and water and a toothbrush to clean it.
Be sure to get into all the cracks and crevices. Let the dishwasher dry, and then reinstall the retaining ring. Its possible that youll need to replace the drainpipe as well.
Unclog The Drain Hose
If the drain hose on your GE dishwasher becomes clogged, water may not be able to flow properly through the dishwasher. To unclog the drain hose, take a few steps to find and resolve any blockages.
First, check the inlet valve at the back of the dishwasher. There may be a clog in or near the valve that can be removed with a long-handled brush. If this doesnt work, you can try unplugging and cleaning out the hose itself. Unplugging it will give you access to remove any clogs that are in your dishwashers drain hose or outlet tube.
To access both of these parts without removing too much of your dishwasher cabinet, find an access panel near where each component is located and slightly open it up. Make sure to also check for obstructions deeper inside of your drain hose itself this could be caused by food particles caught between components in more difficult-to-access areas like behind dish racks and within motor areas.
Don’t Miss: Ge Dishwasher Turns On But Wont Start
How To Test The Dishwasher Drain Pump
To test the drain pump, you must first locate it in your dishwasher. The dishwasher drain pump is located at the bottom of the dishwasher and can be accessed by removing the bottom access panel.
Remove the drain hose connected to the drain pump and put your finger inside the drain outlet.
If you are able to feel and rotate the pump freely, there is no problem with the pump.
Similarly, if the impeller is not moving, you will need to clean the drain pump impeller or replace it if it is broken.
Dishwasher Inner Door Causes Leak
If your dishwasher door seal gasket is NOT damaged, you may have loose screws on the door. The screws on the inner door may be loose and thus causing leakage. Use the proper screwdriver and tighten the screws hand tight. If you find that the screws are tight but one or two are missing, you can order new dishwasher screws and parts online.
Check dishwasher door for loose or missing screws
Here is a video to show you How to tighten loose screws on a leaky dishwasher
How to fix a leaking Dishwasher Door that has loose screws
Also Check: Bosch Dishwasher Door Falls Open
Read Also: Best Dishwasher Detergent For Cloudy Glasses
Defective Drain Check Valve
As we briefly discussed in the beginning, the drain can become clogged with debris. When checking this area, be sure to also check the drain valve.
Over time, this part can become clogged, or even stop working all together.
First, youll want to clean the valve if there is debris present. If youve already done this, but the unit still wont actuate, youll need to replace the valve.
Again, these parts are not repairable, so youll need to buy a new one and replace.
The Solution For A Ge Dishwasher Not Draining
Fixing a GE dishwasher not draining requires some knowledge of the design and function of your machine. But dont worry, weve broken it down for you. The solution to a dishwasher not draining is as follows:
1) Check to see if there is any food debris are not blocking the drain. This includes debris from plates and cups that have been left in the dishwasher overnight.
2) If nothing is blocking the drain, then you will need to remove and inspect the lower spray arm. You can do this by removing the lower spray arm and inspecting it for clogs or other obstructions.
3) Remove any debris from the lower spray arm and wipe down with a cloth. Inspect for anything unusual such as rust spots or cracks in plastic fittings.
4) Replace any damaged parts or replace whole assembly if necessary.
5) Run dishwasher on Heavy Wash cycle without adding soap. Again, check to see if it drains properly before continuing to next step .
6) Make sure that no foreign objects are left in bottom rack of dishwasher before running another full wash cycle on Heavy Wash cycle with soap added to wash dishes .
You May Like: Dishwasher Air Gap Under Counter