Why Is My Dishwasher Not Cleaning Dishes Properly
Find out why your dishwasher is not cleaning dishes properly. We cover the most popular dishwashing problems and offer advice on how to fix them.
If your dishwasher is not cleaning dishes properly, you might be surprised to discover what may seem like a broken dishwasher is a simple case of knowing how to clean your dishes differently. From cloudy glasses to a salty taste, food residue and stained cutlery, hereâs the top problems that people encounter when using their dishwasher and how best to solve them.
How Do You Fix A Dishwasher That Is Not Cleaning Dishes
If you have been having trouble with your dishwasher not cleaning your dishes correctly, it may be due to a faulty part. The most common parts to fail that may cause your Whirlpool dishwasher not to clean are:
- Water intake valve The water intake valve is responsible for bringing water into the dishwasher. If this valve is clogged or defective, the dishwasher will not be able to get the water it needs to clean the dishes.
- Faulty washer arm assembly If the washer arm assembly is not functioning properly, the dishwasher may not be able to spray water on all of the dishes, leaving them dirty or unwashed.
- Defective circulation pump A defective circulation pump may prevent your dishwasher from washing dishes properly. This pump is responsible for circulating water through the dishwasher. If it is defective, water will not reach your dishes during the cleaning cycle, leaving them unwashed.
- Broken wash impeller A dishwasher impeller is a small plastic blade that circulates water into and through the dishwasher arms. If the wash impeller is broken or missing one or more of its fins, it will not force water through the dishwasher arms correctly.
- Drain pump motor failure A dishwasher drain pump motor helps to pump water out the drain. If this drain pump is defective, it will not be able to move the drain properly, and your dishes will not get clean.
Easy Ways To Troubleshoot Dishwasher
Regular maintenance and cleaning of the dishwasher can avoid any possible problem. If your dishwasher isnt cleaning the dishes well, it must be because of an underlying cause that you need to locate and address. Here are some troubleshooting tips to help you cope with a dishwasher that doesnt clean well.
1- Clogged Spray Arm
If a clogged spray arm is jeopardizing your dishwashers ability to clean, take it out of the dishwasher. If its a new dishwasher, the spray arms will come off easily. Soak spray arms in hot water for at least thirty minutes, then poke its holes with a thin steel wire or a toothpick to remove the blockage. Scrub it with a soft brush and rinse with hot water. Let it air dry and then install it back.
2- Dirty Filter
If you have a new dishwasher, it most probably contains a manual filter. To clean it, remove the filter from your dishwasher and soak it in hot water having dishwasher soap. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, gently scrub the filter with a soft brush and rinse it under hot water. let it dry completely before putting it back inside the dishwasher.
Heres a detailed guide on how to wash a dirty filter where Ive shared different ways to clean a dishwasher filter easily.
3- Food Residue
4- Failing Inlet Valve
If you hear a hammering voice coming from your dishwasher, your inlet valve is failing. It would require a professional to fix or repair a failing inlet valve. In worst cases, it would be necessary to replace it with a new one.
You May Like: How To Install New Dishwasher
Dishwasher Needs To Be Cleaned
A KitchenAid dishwasher leaving food residue behind may be in need of a cleaning. Despite regular access to water and detergent, dirt and debris can accumulate in the dishwasher, causing blockages that leave dishes dirty. Regular monthly cleanings can ensure that all components are clean and function optimally.
Heres how to clean the dishwasher filter, spray arms, and tub:
- Filter: Rinse the Upper and Lower Filters under running water, scrubbing stubborn stains with a soft brush.
- Spray arms: Remove the upper and lower spray arms and rinse under running water to remove residue. Unclog spray arm holes with a thin, straightened wire before reinstalling them.
- Tub: Pour three cups of white vinegar into the base of an empty dishwasher and run the longest cleaning cycle with hot water.
Is Your Dishwasher Not Cleaning Well
Whether you have a new dishwasher or one that has been in use for some time, getting the dishwasher to clean better is quick and easy if you know what to do. Modern dishwashers are made differently than before. Once you know the differences, you can make a couple of small changes and your dishes will come out sparkling clean.
Whether you have a Bosch, GE, Maytag, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, or any other name-brand dishwasher, these tips will make your appliance run better and last longer, ultimately giving you the best performance when washing your dishes.
Also Check: How Much Do Dishwashers Make
How Do I Fix My Dishwasher That Isnt Cleaning Well
Use these suggestions and approaches to troubleshoot a dishwasher that isnt working properly.
Was The Correct Amount Of Detergent And Rinse Aid Used Or Was Old Detergent Used
- Never use less than 1 tablespoon per load.
- Heavy soil and/or hard water generally require extra detergent.
- Use automatic dishwashing detergent only. Other detergents can produce excessive suds that can overflow out of the dishwasher and reduce washing performance.
- Store detergent in a cool, dry place to keep it fresh and effective.
You May Like: Why Isn’t My Dishwasher Cleaning
Why Your New Dishwasher Doesnt Clean Your Dishes
Have you noticed that your brand new dishwasher doesnt really get your dishes clean? That your glasses still have fingerprints, that your pots are steadily turning gray, and dishes have bits and specks on them? Have you found that the only way you can get the dishes reasonably clean is to wash them before putting them in the dishwasher, or to run the machine two or three times? Well, dont call a repair person just yet!
Remove Food From The Coarse Filter
The coarse filter is located at the bottom of the dishwasher, and its job is to catch the food particles that could obstruct your drain. Check the coarse filter to see if it has any big food particles or other debris that could possibly be causing the dishwasher to not clean as well as it should. If you find something on the coarse filter, remove and then try running another cycle to see if that does the trick.
Also Check: Which Dishwasher Is The Best
White Spots On Your Glasses And Dishes
There is nothing more frustrating than when youâre trying to clean glass and other dishes that continue to come out of the dishwasher with white spots. This is due to the minerals found in hard water. To prevent this, make sure you check your appliances salt levels, top up your rinse aid and use Quantum Ultimate detergents which offer built-in protection against spots and marks while delivering a sparkling shine.
Please note, these solutions will not protect from mechanical damage or restore already damaged items. If you have tried these tips and your dishwasher still doesnât clean dishes, you should consult a maintenance professional.
Tip : Clean The Inside Of Your Dirty Dishwasher
Make it a habit to look inside and see if you have a dirty dishwasher. Once a month isnt too much to ask, right?
Youd be surprised at what you might find: chunks of old food, glass from broken dishes, popsicle sticks, toys, you name it!!!
The obvious first step is to check the bottom of the dishwasher for debris. The mat-like thing you see is called the coarse filter and is meant to catch big particles that could prevent your tub from draining.
Feel around with your hand in areas you cant see and remove the cover to the reservoir where the water drains. Reach down into this reservoir and take out any food or other muck. Yes, this is gross but you have to do it for the sake of mankind .
There was a plastic popsicle wrapper in my reservoir along with some other items that I wont mention. Sure Im a little embarrassed but this is life.
If these large bits are just floating around in the dishwasher water they can certainly be sprayed back onto the dishes, which defeats the purpose of having a dishwashing machine!!!
There is also a fine filter in your dishwasher. It looks like a circular spaceship that has fine mesh sections to it. Clean off the mesh with a sponge or run it under hot water. Our fine filter had what looked like coffee grounds on it.
Again, this is the stuff that could be sprayed back up into your cups or dishes. So cleaning the fine filter should be on your to-do list every month.
Recommended Reading: Dishwasher Lg Inverter Direct Drive
What To Run Through Dishwasher To Clean It
If your Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning dishes correctly has become an issue, you may need to clean it. The first step is to remove any food or grease build-up from the dishwasher. This can be done by running a cycle with a dishwasher cleaner or white vinegar.
To clean your dishwasher, simply fill a bowl with white vinegar and place it on the top rack of your empty dishwasher. Close the dishwasher door and run a full cycle. The vinegar will help dissolve any food or grease build-up and help clean your dishwasher.
Dishwasher Not Cleaning Your Dishes
If your dishwasher isn’t cleaning properly, please try these tips & tricks:
1. Clean the filter regularly . Review your owner’s manual to learn how to remove it. Wash it with soap and a soft brush under running water to remove debris. To learn more, view our ‘How to Clean Your Dishwasher Filter’ video on our How-to Video page
2. Load the dishes properly ensuring there’s adequate space between items. Also, check to see if the spray arms can move freely after loading the dishwasher.
3. No need to pre-rinse dishes before loading. Just make sure the food is scraped off the dishware. Detergent needs small food debris to cling to in order to work properly.
4. Add rinse aid. Review your owner’s manual to learn how and where to add the rinse aid. Rinse aid helps water droplets slide off dishware so water marks can’t be seen. To learn more, view our ‘How to Add Rinse Aid’ video on our How-to Video page
5. Clean your dishwasher’s spray arms and ensure they’re not clogged. Just run it under water to see if any of the holes are blocked. If they are, use a toothpick to loosen any debris caught in the holes. To learn more, view our ‘How to Clean Spray Arms’ video on our How-to Video page
From cleaning and care advice to dishwasher loading tips, weve got you covered with our how-to videos.
Also Check: New Dishwasher Leaking From Bottom Of Door
Whats The Deal With My Dishwasher Not Spraying Water
If your dishwasher isnt spraying water, it is most likely that its spray arms are clogged. Clogged spray rams will not be able to do their function, which is to shoot water upon the dishes with pressure. If your dishwashers spray arms are clogged, take them out of the dishwasher and give them a deep, thoroughly clean to get rid of all the gunk blocking the holes of the spray arms.
What Should I Do If My Dishwasher Doesn’t Clean Well
Usually, cleaning the dishwasher improves most of the cleaning capabilities. But if that doesn’t work, please find the solution below.
- Select cleaning course
– Choose a more powerful cleaning course and options.
- Check drain lose the installation
– A high loop of the drain hose is recommended to prevent the backflow of dirty water from the drainpipe.
- Water supply pressure
– Check that the water supply valve is fully open by turning it counter clockwise. Appropriate pressure 20 PSI to 120 PSI.
- Check the spray arm
– Clean if the nozzle is clogged.
– How to clean:
Step 1. To remove the middle spray arm, hold the nut and rotate the arm clockwise to remove it.
Step 2. To remove the lower spray arm, pull out the spray arm upward.
Step 3. Wash the arms in warm and soapy water and use a soft brush to clean the jets.
Step 4. Replace them after rinsing them thoroughly.
- Filter is clogged
– If the filter is clogged, food particles on the filter will contaminate to dishes.
- Check the detergent dispenser
– If the spring on the dispenser door is clogged, use a small brush to clean the soap dispenser and spring.
– Replace if the spring or dispenser door is damaged.
- Detergent and Rinse aid
Don’t Miss: Cascade Complete Gel Dishwasher Detergent
How Do You Clean The Trap On A Whirlpool Dishwasher
The dishwasher trap or filter is a small, removable filter that sits at the bottom of your dishwasher. It is responsible for trapping food and debris that may be washed off of dishes during the cleaning cycle. If this filter is clogged, it can prevent water from draining properly and cause your dishwasher to not clean dishes correctly.
To clean the dishwasher trap and filter, you will need to remove them from the dishwasher. The trap may be located in different places depending on which model dishwasher you have. Consult your dishwasher manual for instructions on removing and cleaning the trap and dishwasher filter.
Once you have removed the trap, use a brush to dislodge any food or debris that may be trapped in it. Rinse the trap and filter under warm water to clean it, and then replace it in your dishwasher.
Dishwasher Not Cleaning Properly Heres What To Do
What did we ever do before the dishwasher? Dinner is much less daunting with the knowledge that you wont have to stand over the sink hand scrubbing dishes for an hour after youre done eating .
So, when the dishwasher breaks down or isnt cleaning as well as it should, it can easily throw a wrench in your schedule, especially if youre having to just re-wash what the dishwasher should have taken care of in the first place.
But before you call a repair technician or replace your entire unit, there are a few things you can do to improve your dishwashers cleaning capabilities. If your dishwasher just isnt working like it used to and your dishes are still caked in last nights casserole even after a cycle, heres what you need to do.
You May Like: Fisher And Paykel Drawer Dishwasher
Why Is My Dishwasher Leaving A White Film On Everything
Limescale or salt might be the source of the problem. If the residue can be readily removed with a finger, it is most likely due to an excessive amount of salt. In order for your dishwasher to function properly, it must have salt in it at all times. If you do not replace your salt, the water in your dishwasher will get hard, leaving residue on your dishes.
Why Is My Dishwasher Not Cleaning
Here are some common reasons why your dishwasher isnt cleaning dishes properly.
Have you done all you can to get your dishwasher to work with no luck? With a home warranty, your provider can find a local trained service technician for you. Youll only pay the small service fee to repair your dishwasher and any other covered appliances. To get started, compare home warranty plans, then call to get a free quote.
Also Check: Dishwasher Repair Salt Lake City
Tip : Remove And Unclog Spray Arms
Clogged spray arms have to be the #1 problem we encounter with our dishwasher. Its a function of the hard water we have here in Pittsburgh and the new non-phosphate dishwasher detergent.
We have a stainless steel GE Cafe dishwasher with SmartDispense technology. The SmartDispense concept seemed like a good idea. You could dump in a ton of liquid dishwasher soap and not have to worry about manually filling up the soap cup every time dishes needed to be cleaned.
When we started using the SmartDispense dispenser the directions were followed and the correct soap was used. Then soap manufacturers changed their formulas and eliminated the use of phosphate. Which was good for the environment but bad for our dishwasher system.
The two different kinds of soap caused residue or scale to buildup in our dishwasher. Theres a good chance you have the same problem.
If your dishwasher is like our GE brand then you can remove the lower spray arm by turning it counterclockwise and pulling up at the same time.
Remove the top & middle spray arms by using a ratchet and appropriately sized socket, which was 1/4 inch for me.
Heres a brief video to help you with removing your spray arms
Check all of the holes in your spray arms for clogs. You can use three different methods to remove debris from the holes.
You can also use a wire hanger, the cheap kind you get at the dry cleaners, to unclog the arms.
The next step will help neutralize any crud you missed with the wires or cables.
Problem With Dishwasher Water Supply
The dishwasher requires the proper amount of water at the right temperature and pressure to clean optimally.
Check these water supply issues when you notice your KitchenAid dishwasher not cleaning dishes well:
- Water not hot enough: A dishwashers water temperature should be at least 120 to clean sufficiently. You may need to raise the temperature of your homes hot water heater to improve dishwasher performance. Running the hot water in your kitchen sink before starting a wash cycle can ensure that its readily available to the dishwasher.
- Water pressure too low: The water inlet valve requires at least 20 psi of pressure to open, allowing water to flow from your home supply to the dishwasher. If the water pressure is too low, the valve wont open to supply the dishwasher with enough water. If possible, increase your homes water pressure so the valve can function properly.
- Part failure: In other cases, the water inlet valve may be broken, restricting the dishwashers water supply. Spray arms are also prone to cracks and malfunctions that limit water access. These parts must be replaced for the dishwasher to function correctly.
Dishwasher still not cleaning as it should? A professional dishwasher repair service should have a look. Schedule an appointment with one of our expert technicians to solve the problem!
Don’t Miss: Samsung Dishwasher Black Stainless Steel