Inspect The Door Latch
When the door latch is not engaged, a switch prevents the dishwasher from starting. Listen for the sound of the latch clicking into place when you close the door. With the door closed, pull on the door to see if it is closed securely. Visually inspect both sides of the latch for anything that may be preventing it from engaging properly, and for broken parts. If the latch is broken, the switch may be also.
Problem With Dishwasher Water Supply
If there is adequate power, a Maytag dishwasher not starting may have a water supply issue.
Here are water supply issues that can keep a dishwasher from starting:
- Improper connection: Make sure the dishwashers water supply hose is properly connected to your homes hot water pipe and that the supply valve is on.
- Water supply hose is bent or pinched: Try to gently straighten or reposition the hose to allow water to flow, making sure that the dishwasher isnt pinching the hose when its pushed back in place. A damaged hose must be replaced.
- Faulty water inlet valve: If the dishwashers water inlet valve is faulty, it may not open to allow water to enter the dishwasher. A faulty valve requires replacement.
Maytag Dishwasher Starts Then Cancels
One of the most common issues that lead to a Maytag dishwasher starting and then canceling is a bad touch panel. The touch panel can be removed and you can clean it carefully with a pencil eraser.
At times, you may need to replace the touch panel, and it may also be connected to the control panel.
If you have locked the control panel inadvertently, you can hold down the heated dry button for three seconds and then release it. This will typically start the machine operating again.
A power failure or power surge can cause problems with the machine starting and stopping. You may need to replace some of the interior components if they have become damaged, including the control panel.
Copyright protected content owner: ReadyToDIY.com and was initially posted on 2021-09-23.
Recommended Reading: Bosch Dishwasher Won’t Start
Check The Maytag Dishwasher Display
If your Maytag dishwasher display is not working, you wont be able to use the timer functions on the control panel. If your Maytag dishwasher display not working is causing a problem, you will need to reset your dishwasher:
Problem With Water Supply
Check the water inlet valve to make sure that it is fully open. If not, there wont be any pressure, and your dishwasher will not start up no matter what additional steps you take.
Your dishwashers water line could be blocked, so try turning off your homes main supply valve for five minutes, so any excess water drains away.
The trouble may also lie in the hose, which can be pinched or kinked when pushed back into place after use.
A damaged hose requires immediate replacement to ensure that the dishwasher works properly with no issues whatsoever.
Recommended Reading: Whirlpool Dishwasher With 3rd Rack
Reasons A Leak Sensor May Be Activated
- Leak sensors activate an alert when they sense a leak. The dishwasher will catch the water in a drip pan, but it can only hold so much. It will tilt forward and dump the water out onto the floor so youll be aware of the problem right away.
- Too much detergent can activate a leak sensor. If youve overfilled your dishwasher with detergent, you may see the leak alert.
- A recently installed or moved dishwasher can cause the leak sensor to activate. Its easy for moisture to get on the sensor during the installation or move, which the sensor will detect as a leak. Let it dry and try the dishwasher again later.
- Finally, if youve recently connected a garbage disposal to your dishwasher, make sure the garbage disposal cap is removed. If its not, it will cause the leak sensor to alert you.
Never ignore a leak alert from your dishwasher. There may be a hidden leak that is impossible to see without moving the dishwasher out.
If you see this indicator, dont assume its not a leak just because you dont see water. You should call an appliance repair technician right away to prevent water damage and electrical risks.
Faulty Door Latch/door Switch
The door of your dishwasher contains a door latch, as you might expect, but also a door switch. The latch obviously keeps the door closed when the dishwasher is in operation, and the door switch ensures that the dishwasher cannot be started if the door is open.
If either the door latch or the door switch breaks for whatever reason, you wont be able to run the dishwasher at all, much less use the control panel.
Testing the door latch is easy just take note of whether or not the dishwasher door is able to close properly. If it isnt, you probably have a bad door latch.
Testing the door switch is a little more complicated.
- Youll need to open up your dishwashers control panel, find the switch, and test it with a multimeter for continuity.
- If the switch has no continuity, its gone bad and will have to be replaced.
Recommended Reading: Best Buy Bosch Dishwasher Free Installation
Get Help When Your Dishwasher Wont Start
Unless its a simple issue like child lock or delay start settings, when a dishwasher wont start, you need an appliance repair company to inspect it.
It could be a simple fix that takes just a few minutes, or it could be a complex problem that requires expertise and potentially dangerous electrical components.
Dishwashers are important appliances in modern homes. A dishwasher that wont start needs to be inspected and repaired.
Theyre expensive to replace, so its always more affordable to have one repaired. If you dont have a go-to appliance repair company, use our form above to find one in your area and get a free quote.
You Might Also Like:
Test The Thermal Fuse
The thermal fuse prevents damage to electrical components due to overheating. If it blows, it shuts down the dishwasher. Find the thermal fuse on the control board, behind the inner door. Disconnect the two connecting wires and remove the fuse from the control panel to test it. Set the multimeter to Rx1 and touch the probes to the contacts on the fuse. This should produce a reading of zero. Replace the thermal fuse if you get any other reading.
Recommended Reading: Are All Clad Pans Dishwasher Safe
Alternative Technique Of Resetting Your Maytag Dishwasher
Donât fret if the above sequences do not work -Most Maytag dishwasher models can alternatively be reset by power cycling it .
To do that, simply disconnect it from power -for about a minute- then plug it right back in.
If that doesnt help, leave the appliance unplugged for perhaps an hour.
Just note in case your Maytag dishwasher does not come with a plug, you will have to turn the unit off at the breaker .
Dishwasher Wont Start Troubleshoot In 9 Steps
If your dishwasher wont start, save time and money by troubleshooting it before calling a professional. Repairing a dishwasher isnt as difficult as it might seem and can be done even if you arent particularly handy. Use this guide to help you troubleshoot major parts of a dishwasher and determine when professional help is necessary.
Read Also: How Do You Clean The Dishwasher
Maytag Dishwasher Stopping Mid Cycle
After finishing dinner, you turn on the dishwasher only to discover that it stops midway through the cycle, leaving the dishes still unclean and covered in soap build-up.
Then when you try to start the cycle again and get no response or find that the same mid-cycle premature end happens all over again,
The reason for your Maytag dishwasher stopping mid-cycle is likely caused by a faulty door switch, blown fuse, or faulty control board.
If you are uncomfortable about resolving this problem or do not want to risk voiding your appliances warranty, contact a qualified technician to repair your dishwasher.
Whirlpool And Kenmore Control Lock
To turn the control lock ON, press the Heated Dry pad for 4-6 seconds. Look for the lock icon to glow. Pressing any part of the pad while its on will make the light flash three times.
But the dishwasher will not respond to the selection. To turn the control lock OFF, press the Heated Dry pad for 4-6 seconds. Look for the lock icon to stop glowing and try to start the machine.
Also Check: Danby 18 Portable Dishwasher Ddw1805ewp
How Do You Reset The Blinking Light On A Ge Dishwasher
To reset the blinking light on your GE dishwasher, follow these steps: 1 Press and hold the power button until the display goes blank. 2 Press and hold the reset button for 3 seconds. 3 Release the reset button. 4 Press and hold the Power button until the display blinks twice. 5 Release the Power button. 6 Press and hold the Reset button for 3 seconds. 7 Release the Reset button. 8 Press and hold the Start/Reset button for 3 seconds. 9 Release the Start/Reset buttons. 10 Press and hold the start/stop button for 3 seconds. 11 Release the start/stop button. 12 Press and hold the clean/dry button for 3 seconds. 13 Release the clean/dry button. 14 Press and hold the rinse/wash button for 3 seconds. 15 Release the rinse/wash button. 16 Press and hold the drain/fill button for 3 seconds. 17 Release the drain/fill button. 18 Press and hold the door open button for 3
What To Do If Your Dishwasher Wont Start
Before you start troubleshooting your dishwasher and whenever you check for continuity within your dishwasher, always make sure you unplug the dishwasher and that the power to the appliance is turned off to prevent electrical shock.
Recommended Reading: Ge Quiet Power 3 Dishwasher
Test The Touchpad And Control Panel
Another common problem people have with Maytag dishwashers is when the touchpad stops working correctly.
To test it out, you need to:
Incorrect Dishwasher Cycle Settings
When a Maytag dishwasher wont start, it can be because the wash cycle is not selected. Press START/RESUME on the control panel only after selecting your desired function. Certain functions will hinder a Maytag dishwasher from starting immediately. Usually, these features include a light or an icon on the control panel that illuminates when enabled.
The following Maytag dishwasher functions can cause a dishwasher not to start:
- Delay Start : Selecting this option will delay the start of a wash cycle to a preset later time. To turn off the delayed start feature, press CANCEL/DRAIN, then START/RESUME.
- Sleep Mode: Selecting this option will pause the dishwasher for a preset period of time. To turn off sleep mode, press CANCEL/DRAIN, then START/RESUME or CHECK WATER LEVEL, and manually start a wash cycle.
- Rinse Hold: Selecting this option will delay the water from draining so that dishes can be rinsed before they are washed. To activate the rinse hold, press RINSE HOLD on the control panel. Press it again to deactivate it when finished with the desired function
- Control Lock: Select this option to lock the control panel buttons. Selecting it again will unlock the controls for normal use
- Check Water Level: Checks if there are enough dishes in the dishwasher and alerts you when the rinse aid is low.
Read Also: Replacement Parts For Samsung Dishwasher
Maytag Dishwasher Lights Flashing Or Blinking
If the lights on your Maytag dishwasher are flashing or blinking rapidly, it is an indication that the heating element is not working as intended.
The heating element is responsible for warming up the water to an optimum temperature.
Still, if the water doesnt reach the desired temperature in a given time, the light starts flashing.
Another reason can be a technical fault with the control panel that causes the circuitry to go haywire.
- Replace the heating element assembly
- Get the control panel checked by a technician
If you are unsure about any of these tasks or do not want to risk voiding your appliances warranty, contact a qualified plumbing technician to repair your dishwasher.
Maytag Dishwasher Not Draining
Is your dishwasher completely empty, or is there always an inch of water in the bottom?
Maytag dishwasher not draining is likely to be caused by a clogged-up filter, blocked hose, or faulty pump.
Before you call a repair service, try these three simple fixes if your dishwasher wont drain.
- If filters are not cleaned regularly, they can become clogged. Locate and uninstall your filters. These are located at the bottom of the dishwasher, directly beneath the lower spray arm. To begin, twist the cylindrical filter to remove it from the dishwasher. Remove any gunk from the filters by gently cleaning them.
Blocked Drain Hose
- If cleaning your filters hasnt resolved the issue, a clogged drain hose is the next possible cause of your dishwasher not draining. The drain hose is an essential component of any dishwasher because it transports dirty water away from the unit. It is usually connected to the same drain as the kitchen sink.
- The drain hose could be clogged with grime and food debris or kinked, which is unlikely. To clean it, remove the drain hose from the dishwasher and the sink drain.
- The problem could also be coming from your kitchen sink. You can easily unclog a sink drain if you have a plunger or a drain snake. Our drain service is available if you require additional assistance.
Blocked or Faulty Drain Pump
Recommended Reading: Whirlpool Dishwasher Troubleshooting Not Starting
Check The Thermal Fuse
The next component to check is the thermal fuse. When the thermal fuse becomes defective and blows, it shuts off power to the dishwasher when it overheats, meaning you wont be able to start it again until the fuse has been replaced.
To check the thermal fuse, you need to:
How To Reset The Dishwasher Control Panel
- Turn off the power supply of the dishwasher for 1 minute.
- After one minute, turn on the power supply.
If the dishwasher plug is attached to the socket, remove it from the electric socket and reconnect it. If your dishwasher is hardwired, turn off the home electrical panel breaker for 1 minute and turn it on again.
Recommended Reading: Which Dishwasher Is The Best
Dishwasher Wont Start: 10 Possible Causes
There are really just ten possible causes when a dishwasher wont start. Dishwashers are simple to operate, but have lots of small parts inside.
When a dishwasher wont run, the problem can be mechanical or electrical. With our guide, you dont have to be an appliance repair expert to determine which problem is the culprit.
Even if the fix is more complex than you can manage, being able to point your appliance repair tech in the right direction will save you time and money.
Please note that this guide is for information purposes only. For safety, always consult a professional if you have a problem with an electrical appliance.
Keep reading to discover the ten possible causes when your dishwasher wont start. If you dont want to mess with a DIY fix, use our form to get a free quote from a local appliance repair company.
Maytag Mdb8959aws5 Dishwasher Reset Sequence
For Maytag MDB8959AWS5 dishwasher, follow the following sequence in quick succession :
It will now enter full diagnostic mode so close the door.
The appliance will now run for a few minutes and finally reset and the dishwasher might resume working normally after this.
Read Also: Whirlpool Dishwashers At Home Depot