Maytag Dishwasher Not Starting Or Not Operating
There are several reasons why your Maytag dishwasher not starting or not operating:
- control lock is on
- dishwasher is in sleep mode
- delayed wash option is selected
- door is not completely closed and latched
- water supply is not turned on
- the power needs to be cycled to reset the dishwasher
Is the control lock “on” or is the dishwasher in sleep mode?
The control lock is used to avoid unintended use of the dishwasher as well as to avoid unintended cycle or option changes during a cycle, some model have a sleep mode function. The control lock light will stay on for a short time, indicating that it is activated and all buttons are disabled. If any buttons are pressed while the dishwasher control is locked, the light will flash three times. The door can still be opened/closed while the controls are locked.
NOTE: You may need to disable Sleep Mode by pressing either START/RESUME or CANCEL, or by opening and closing the door before you are able to turn the control lock off.
To turn off the control lock feature:
for more information on the Control Lock
How Do Eliminate Error Codes In The Dishwasher
Error code indicates a problem or issues inside the dishwasher. Whenever your dishwasher displays error codes, there must be some problem lying inside your dishwasher. Check the dishwasher owner manual there you will find information about error codes and solutions to eliminate from your dishwasher. You can also check the manufacturers official website to know more about the error code.
How To Reset Maytag Dishwasher
For most Maytag brand dishwashers, power will need to be cycled for it to reset.
To reset, you can unplug the dishwasher for about a minute or flip the breaker off then back on .
If you answered in the negative, read on carefully because the fixes we recommend for the next fault often apply to countless start button-related defectsâ¦..
Also Check: Are Calphalon Pans Dishwasher Safe
Also Check: Whirlpool Dishwasher Wdt 730 Pahz
Maytag Dishwasher Stuck On Auto Clean Fix
If you have this problem, it could be that you touched the keypad/display inadvertently, DELAY Wash Cycle has been turned ON, the keypad or display panel has a stuck button or unresponsive buttons, or the main control board needs a reset or its faulty.
To fix this:
- Ensure the dishwasher controls arenât touched inadvertently.
- Make sure you are not pressing certain buttons inadvertently when the wash cycle has ended and you open the dishwasher.
- Check if you are mistakenly setting the dishwasher on a DELAY MODE wash cycle.
- Check for any stuck keys on the dishwasher control panel.
- Ensure all the buttons and keys on the display panel are responsive and working.
- Attempt a main control board reset by shutting off the dishwasher for 15 minutes.
- If all the above checks out, your main control board or keypad/panel may be faulty.
For more information on your Maytag dishwasher, refer to the instructions manual or get in touch with the manufacturer.
Loading Mistakes To Avoid
Knowing how not to load a dishwasher can be just as helpful as the right loading methods.
Avoid these common dishwasher loading mistakes:
- Overcrowding: Stuffing the dishwasher and overlapping items decreases access to water and detergent and increases the likelihood theyll have to be re-washed by hand.
- Pre-rinsing: Most dishwasher detergents work best when combined with a little grease and grime. Skip the pre-rinse and just scrape off large food particles before loading.
- Loading the wrong items: Wooden utensils, oversized pots, and cutting boards can warp, split or block the spray arms. Its best to hand wash these items.
Though knowing how to load a Maytag dishwasher properly can avoid damage and wear and tear, malfunctions can still occur. When they do, call the experts at Just-in Time Appliance for a fast and professional dishwasher repair!
Don’t Miss: How To Sanitize Bosch Dishwasher
Check To Ensure The Dishwasher Door Is Latched Properly
Most Maytag dishwashers have an electronic control system that includes the dishwasher door latch. If the door is open or not perfectly latched, it can cause an error to go off, preventing your unit from starting up.
For newer models, check the door latch light on the display panel. If its red or flashing, your door is open, preventing the unit from starting up.
Door Not Fully Closed And Latched
As a safety precaution, a Maytag dishwasher wont start if the door isnt completely closed and latched. Oftentimes, a protruding dishwasher rack will prevent the door from closing. Make sure racks are properly inserted and that loaded items allow them to retract completely. When closing the door, be sure to give it a firm push to fully engage the latch.
If the dishwasher door still wont close properly, its possible the latch is broken and cant keep the door securely closed. When this happens, the dishwasher wont start until the latch is replaced.
Don’t Miss: Are Ember Mugs Dishwasher Safe
Make Power Supply Cord Connection
1. Power cord-Route cord into the terminal box
Route cord so that it does not touch the dishwasher motor or lower part of the dishwasher tub. Pull the cord through strain relief in the terminal box.
Select UL Listed/CSA Approved twist-on wire connectors rated to connect your power supply cord to 16-gauge dishwasher wiring.
2. Power supply cord-Connect ground wire
- Remove the ground screw and place it through the ring terminal of the green ground wire.
- Reattach and tighten the ground screw.
3. Power cord-Connect remaining wires
NOTE: Do not pre-twist stranded wire. Twist on wire connector. Gently tug on wires to be sure both are secured.
Connect wires black to black and white to white, using UL Listed/CSA Approved twist-on wire connectors.
4. Power cord-secure cord on the strain relief
- Tighten strain relief screws to secure the cord.
5. Power cord-reinstall terminal box cover
- Place wires inside the terminal box.
- Insert tabs on the left side of the cover.
- Make sure wires are tucked inside the box.
- Close cover ensuring wires are not pinched. Use ¹ hex-head socket, nut driver, or Torx® T20® screwdriver and previously removed screw to secure cover.
NOTE: Do not plug into an outlet until instructed to do so.
Also Check: How To Use Dishwashing Liquid
Maytag Dishwasher Reset Sequence
As an Amazon affiliate, we earn a commision from qualifying purchases.
Much like many appliances, resetting your Maytag dishwashers sometimes resolves the issues preventing it from working.
Below is the Maytag dishwasher reset sequence to help you reset the unit hopefully, resetting it will eliminate the fault that is making it act up:
Read Also: Samsung Dishwasher Won’t Start
How Do You Diagnose Maytag Dishwasher Problems
Diagnosing issues with a Maytag dishwasher starts with identifying any visual and audible changes in your appliance. Visible water leaks, unusual sounds, and dishes that don’t actually get clean after a full cycle may be your first sign.
A repairman from Sears Home Services will disconnect the dishwasher and pull it out of the cabinetry in order to thoroughly inspect and diagnose the appliance.
Maytag Dishwasher Not Cleaning Properly
If your Maytag dishwasher isnt cleaning your dishes, the spray arm could be clogged, the soap dispenser could be broken, youre using low-quality detergent, or the inlet valve could be defective or damaged.
Before you call your local technician, go through the steps outlined below.
- Check the spray arm to ensure it has not been obstructed by a plate or utensil. Gently spin it around to see if its free of any impediments. Check that the small holes that spray water are not clogged with grease and grime. If so, take it out and gently clean it with detergent.
- Are you using the cheapest detergent tablets from the supermarket? Spotty dishes can be caused by using low-quality or ineffective detergent. Too much detergent can also cause issues. Use the proper type of detergent and the appropriate amount. A final rinse agent should also help with results. Consider installing a water softener if you have hard water to reduce mineral deposit damage. Finally, make certain that the dishwasher is properly loaded.
- Check to see if the detergent is being released by the soap dispenser. Sometimes the dispenser gets stuck releasing the detergent at the correct cycle time, which is usually caused by grease and grime. If this is the case, clean the soap dispenser gently with warm water to remove the grease and grime.
You May Like: Can Stainless Steel Go In The Dishwasher
Maintenance And Professional Help
The secret to a long-lasting dishwasher is good maintenance. Regularly inspect the dishwasher for clogs, kinks, or other faults. Periodically check for any electrical damages to the dishwasher also.
Also, take extra precautions while performing any troubleshooting guide. Be sure to disconnect the power source and carry out any dishwasher inspection.
Also, its okay to ask for the help of an experienced technician at any point in which you get stuck trying to figure out what might be wrong with your dishwasher.
You may also refer to your user manual for more model-specific maintenance tips.
Was Rinse Aid Used And Is The Dispenser Full
Your dishwasher utilizes rinse aid to assist drying performance. Without rinse aid, your dishes and dishwasher interior could have excessive moisture. The heat dry option can perform better with a rinse aid. Rinse aid can improve drying and reduces water spots and filming. Water sheets off dishes rather than forming water droplets that cling and leave spots.
Rinse aid can be helpful even when using dishwasher detergent packets.
We recommend using the rinse agent dispenser to dispense rinse aid. Be sure to fill the dispenser before you use your new dishwasher. A full dispenser holds about 5 oz or rinse aid and should last about a month. Make sure the rinse aid dispenser is full. It is recommended to use a colored rinse aid, such as blue, so that you can more easily see the rinse aid level in the gauge.
Also Check: Are Nuk Bottles Dishwasher Safe
Maytag Dishwasher Beeps But Wont Start
When your dishwasher beeps and wont start, you are getting power to it but there is still a problem.
The first thing to do is check the panel and see if there is some type of error message or code. If there is, check with your manual and it should tell you what the problem is.
There may also be some other issues that can cause this problem, including the following:
Power Outage If the power is interrupted in the middle of a cycle or if the door is opened while the dishwasher is running, it will stop running at that point. It may not restart until you disconnect the dishwasher from the power for one minute and reconnect it again.
Power Surge At times, a problem with a power surge may simply interrupt the cycle. You can reset your Maytag by shutting off the power for up to five minutes.
A power surge can also be very damaging and it may have damaged the board or other internal components.
Although you cannot test the board easily, you can pull the control board and look at it, along with the power ribbon under a magnifying glass. If you see any issues, such as cracks or burnt areas in the circuits, it will need to be replaced.
Anti-Flood Device This type of device is available in some Maytag dishwashers. When it detects a problem, it shuts the machine down and alerts you to the issue with an audible noise.
Recommended Reading: My Dishwasher Didnt Drain
What To Do If The Problem Persists
If the above-discussed solution didnt help you fix the problem in your dishwasher. You should contact your supplier or appliance technicians.
They have proper knowledge about dishwashers and tools through which they can help you fix the problem with your dishwasher.
Similarly, if you have warranty support, you can repair your dishwasher free of cost.
You dont need to pay money to replace and repair dishwasher parts. To know more about warranty support, check your warranty card when buying a dishwasher.
May Required in Future:-
You May Like: Frigidaire Dishwasher Soap Not Dissolving
Test The Touchpad And Control Panel
Another common problem people have with Maytag dishwashers is when the touchpad stops working correctly.
To test it out, you need to:
Also Check: What Is The Quietest Dishwasher Decibel
Silverware Basket Or Third Level Rack
Wondering how to load silverware in a Maytag dishwasher? It can vary based on your appliance model. Some have a traditional silverware basket while others also have a third level rack.
Loading tips for silverware basket:
- Alternate forks, spoons, and knives next to each other to avoid nesting and place one utensil per slot.
- Place knives upside down to avoid injury.
Third level loading tips:
- Place one utensil per slot.
- Place larger serving utensils flat on the rack.
- Reserve space for small plates and cups to avoid crowding the upper rack.
Recommended Reading: Whirlpool Dishwasher Replacement Top Rack
Schedule Your Appointment For Expert Maytag Dishwasher Repair
When you need to service your Maytag dishwasher, count on the certified specialists at Sears Home Services. Our technicians support appliance repairs for a number of brands. We bring years of experience to dishwasher repairs, washing machine and dryer repairs, stove repairs, refrigerator repairs, and oven repairs, too.
Whether you own a Maytag dishwasher, ice maker or dispenser, washer, cooktop, or one by another brand, our experts are ready to offer routine maintenance and quality appliance repairs right at your home. One benefit of working with Sears is that we stock most dishwasher parts and tools so repairs can be made fast.
Count on us to help you get the appliance repair service you need. Schedule an appointment for Maytag dishwasher repair services today online or on the phone.
Test The Door Latch Switch
Remove the inner door panel to access the door latch assembly at the top of the door. Make sure the catch engages the door latch switch when it is inserted into the latch assembly. If all appears to work properly, use a multimeter to test the switches for continuity. With the multimeter set on Rx1, touch the probes to the switch terminals. The reading should be at or near zero. If your reading is different, replace the door latch assembly.
Also Check: Dishwasher Safe Stickers For Tumblers
Maytag Dishwasher Not Draining
- Check the filter at the bottom of the dishwasher and clean it to remove any particles blocking filter inlet.
- Check if the sink drains out water. If not, unclog it and then test the dishwasher.
- Remove the clog in the plumbing with a plunger to make the dishwasher drain properly.
- Turn ON Garbage disposal as a clogged garbage disposal can prevent the dishwasher from properly draining.
- Run water and turn on the garbage disposal to unclog and allow your dishwasher to drain.
Does The Rinse Aid Need To Refill
The dispenser holds 5 oz of rinse aid. Under most conditions, this will last 1 to 3 months. Check the indicator while the dishwasher door is fully open . If the rinse aid is empty the indicator will appear clear. The color of the dispenser will depend on the color of the rinse aid you are using.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page.
Also Check: When Will Bosch Dishwashers Be Back In Stock
Also Check: Samsung Dishwasher Black Stainless Steel
Maytag Dishwasher Wont Start Red Light Flashing
A problem with a red flashing light can often be traced back to the control lock. The control lock is activated by holding down the appropriate buttons for three seconds.
If the control lock was inadvertently activated, you can turn it off by holding down those buttons for three seconds as well.
Another issue that can lead to red lights flashing and the dishwasher not running is if the door has opened. This can be due to a problem with the latch or it may be a malfunction in the door switch.
Check the latch and switch with a multi-meter. If there is a problem or if the door pulls open easily, you may need to replace them.
Finally, you may have a problem with an interrupted cycle. This can be due to the door opening while the machine is running or a power outage.
Copyright protected content owner: ReadyToDIY.com and was initially posted on 2021-09-23.
Reset the machine back to the beginning of the cycle by turning off the power for up to five minutes. You can do this by unplugging your Maytag dishwasher or switching it off at the circuit panel.
Check The Door Switch
The next component to check is the door switch. The purpose of the door switch is to make the dishwasher turn off when the door is open. When the switch stops working correctly, the dishwasher wont be able to start at all even if the door is closed properly. To test the door switch, you need to be comfortable using a multimeter device.
Heres how to test it:
Don’t Miss: Ge Dishwasher Turns On But Wont Start