Remove Pump And Motor Assembly Parts
Move the pump and motor assembly to a stable work area. While holding the motor shaft, remove the cutter blade, grater, wear ring and retainer, and discard. While continuing to hold the motor shaft, remove the impeller and then remove the motors pump.
The pump should slide off the motor shaft, then you can set it aside.
Disability Profiles Supported In Our Website
- Epilepsy Safe Mode: this profile enables people with epilepsy to use the website safely by eliminating the risk of seizures that result from flashing or blinking animations and risky color combinations.
- Visually Impaired Mode: this mode adjusts the website for the convenience of users with visual impairments such as Degrading Eyesight, Tunnel Vision, Cataract, Glaucoma, and others.
- Cognitive Disability Mode: this mode provides different assistive options to help users with cognitive impairments such as Dyslexia, Autism, CVA, and others, to focus on the essential elements of the website more easily.
- ADHD Friendly Mode: this mode helps users with ADHD and Neurodevelopmental disorders to read, browse, and focus on the main website elements more easily while significantly reducing distractions.
- Blindness Mode: this mode configures the website to be compatible with screen-readers such as JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, and TalkBack. A screen-reader is software for blind users that is installed on a computer and smartphone, and websites must be compatible with it.
- Keyboard Navigation Profile : this profile enables motor-impaired persons to operate the website using the keyboard Tab, Shift+Tab, and the Enter keys. Users can also use shortcuts such as M , H , F , B , and G to jump to specific elements.
Remove Standing Water From The Dishwasher
Now you’ll want to remove all the water from your dishwasher. It’s important to lay down towels around the base to absorb any spillage, especially if you have a lot of water at the bottom.
You can use towels to absorb the water or use a plastic cup to scoop it up and place it into a bucket. If there’s plenty of water and you want to speed up the process, you can also use a wet/dry vacuum for this step.
Read Also: Ge Dishwasher Heated Dry Not Working
Dishwasher Drain Pump: How To Test
my dishwasher isn’t draining.
I checked the drain hose and it’s clear enough that I could blow air through it.
- I removed the drain pump, model #W10158351B I measured the resistancebetween the two connector pins: ~24ohms.
- I connected the two leads toa 120VAC supply. The impeller would turn maybe 2-3 degrees and stop,with the motor making a hum. I did this with the polarity only oneway .
I think this is pretty conclusive that the motor is dead but I’d like to be sure before I buy the replacement.
I’m also surprised to find water has been leaking out of the pump bit by bit. I presume that means water has made it past the impeller seal and is generally bad?
Is my drain pump bad? Are there other tests I should perform?
- It did. There was some resistance, but not a ton.
I have the same problem you had. I am not sure of the proper impedance you should have. One internet repair place says 200 ohms for a good motor. I did the same thing you did lines were clear to disposal – I also exercised the check valve which is in the 90 degree black elbow right off the drain pump on my machine forward and backward to ensure it flowed and would stop flow in the reverse direction, which it did. I do not have leads that are compatible with the motor to check that it runs. I am going to replace the drain pump to see if that is the problem. Also, the jerky motion on the impeller is due to the magnetism on the motor.
For future reference, before you take the thing out:
Check The Drain Solenoid Kit
If you still havent found the cause of your GE dishwasher not draining, the next component to check is the drain solenoid. The solenoid opens the drain valve so that water can drain out of the dishwasher.
To check if it is faulty:
You May Like: Best Nonstick Cookware Dishwasher Safe
How To Fix A Ge Dishwasher Not Draining
A dishwasher that cannot drain is a problem you will want to get fixed quickly. Not only is there a risk of further damage caused by leaking water, but dirty dishes will also start piling up in the sink. Fortunately, this guide is here to help you.
Most of the time, the dishwasher will not be draining because of a defective drain pump. However, before you access the drain pump, check that the drain hose is connected properly and not blocked. The filter and sump should also be checked for debris. If the dishwasher still will not drain, there may be a defective solenoid causing the issue.
Go through the checks below to diagnose and fix the drainage issue in your GE dishwasher.
This guide applies to most GE dishwasher models, including the following:
How To Diagnose Dishwasher Problems
If you have a dishwasher that is not running or is not cleaning your dishes as well as it used to, there are likely some problems you can diagnose and fix.
Don’t Miss: Is Yeti Rambler Dishwasher Safe
Check The Drain Valve
If the drain valve gets clogged up, water wont be able to flow through it properly.
To make sure water can flow through it:
How To Test A Dishwasher Pump Motor
Have you ever loaded the dishwasher and expected clean dishes only to discover that nothing happened? Well, your dishwasher may have a faulty pump motor. Whether it be looking for error codes or using a multimeter, lets take a look at how you can identify a bad pump motor.
When youre trying to get your dishes clean, nothing will get under your skin quite as bad as a dishwasher that doesnt want to work. If youve already gone through a portion of the troubleshooting, chances are that youre going to want to make sure that the dishwasher pump motor isnt at fault. But, how do you test that motor out without making a serious mess?
Before you even think of testing anything, check to see if your dishwasher posts an error code relating to the pump motor. If not, check for symptoms of a bad pump motor. If you still need more evidence of a bad motor, use a hook volt multimeter to read the resistance of the motor. A good motor will only have 30 to 40 ohms of resistance.
Trying to manually test a dishwasher pump motor is not always necessary if you know what else you can look for. This guide will help you troubleshoot that dishwasher and hopefully figure out your next steps.
Recommended Reading: Can You Put Yeti Cups In The Dishwasher
How Do You Reset A Ge Dishwasher
GE dishwasher models come with a “Start/Reset” button, so all you have to do is press and hold this button for a few seconds, then wait two minutes for it to reset.
If this doesn’t solve the issue you’re experiencing with your appliance you may need to perform a hard reset. To do this, cut off the power supply to the dishwasher by turning off the circuit breaker connected to it. Wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on.
Not Filling With Water
The GE dishwasher may not fill up with water appropriately because of a faulty fill hose or an obstruction on the hose. However, this condition can also happen due to a leaky faucet or broken water pipe.
To troubleshoot this issue, follow these steps:
1. First, turn off the power and remove the access panel. Remove the screws that hold the fill tube in place on the dishwasher.
2. Remove the fill tube by unscrewing it from the dishwasher.
3. Check the fill tube to see if any obstructions or debris could prevent the water from flowing properly. Clear the obstacles and check leaks in the water supply and the faucet.
4. If everything looks OK, turn the water back on and test your dishwasher to see if it has filled up with water.
5. If it doesnt resolve, call the GE service center.
You May Like: What Is An Ada Dishwasher
Check The Garbage Disposal
If your dishwasher is connected to the garbage disposal and it has recently been installed, the drain plug that is in it may not have been removed, and this will stop water from being able to drain. However, if your dishwasher isnt connected to the garbage disposal, then the drain plug must be kept in place.
So, if your dishwasher is connected to the garbage disposal you need to:
How To Run Regular Diagnostic Test On Your Frigidaire Dishwasher
Running a diagnostic test on your Frigidaire dishwasher is very important as it will help you find out whatever problems your dishwasher might have.
The diagnostic mode on your dishwasher is an inbuilt test cycle feature that will help you identify what is going wrong with your dishwasher, as aforementioned when troubleshooting it.
Once you successfully enter this mode, a series of tests will be run for you by the test cycle on the vital parts of the Frigidaire dishwasher, such as the wash motor, the water fill, the heating element, and the pump, and others.
A flashlight will be given, or an error code will be displayed.
The one that comes out for you depends on the model you have in your home and the fault the test detects on your appliance. This makes it easier for you to pick out whatever might be causing a malfunction.
Remember that the Frigidaire dishwasher will not always return an error code. It wont display an error after the self-diagnosis is done no problems are found.
How Then Do You Run This Diagnostic Test? It is simple. Follow this step-by-step guide below.
Read Also: Double Sink Plumbing With Garbage Disposal And Dishwasher
Check The Drain Impeller
The first component to check is the drain impeller. The drain impeller can sometimes break, and water is then not able to be pushed out through the drain hose into the garbage disposal or drain line.
To check it:
Clogged Drain Hose Under The Sink
If theres a clog in the drain hose, the water will only run through the hose when the dishwasher door is open. To clear this clog, use a plunger to push the blockage into the drain pipe. Then, turn off the power supply to the dishwasher and wait until the water drains completely before turning the power back on.
Recommended Reading: What Causes Dishwasher Not To Drain
Damaged Drain Pump Impeller
The drain pump on your GE dishwasher uses an impeller to push water through the drain hose and down into the drain tube. A damaged impeller will cause water to pool at the bottom of your dishwasher.
In some GE dishwasher models, you can replace an impeller independently. Find out how to do this by watching this video:
Other models will require you to replace the entire drain pump if the impeller malfunctions.
It’s also important to check if the drain pump itself is malfunctioning as this can also prevent your GE dishwasher from draining properly.
Use a multimeter to perform a continuity test on your drain pump. If it shows a reading of 200 ohms, then it’s not the problem. If it fails to show any reading, then you’ll need to replace it.
Ge Control Board Problems
To solve GE dishwasher problems, you must first determine whether the problem is related to the control board or the actual dishwasher itself. To do this, perform the following:
- You will need to hold the Start button for five seconds now.
- Next, the start button should begin flashing.
- Next, hold the Start and Select Cycle buttons for five seconds for the final step.
- Now that the dishwasher control panel has lit up, it should be ready to use.
If the problem persists, then call the service provider for further assistance.
Don’t Miss: Kitchen Aid Dishwasher For Sale
Cause # : Blocked Filter
The second most commonly reported reason is the blocked filter. Food particles clog the filter that can block the drainage system.
Solution: Clean the water filter periodically to ensure that it stays in mint condition. Some GE dishwashers come with ultra-fine and fine filters.
Follow the steps below to clean the water filter in your GE dishwasher.
To clean the ultra-fine filter
- Remove the bottom rack to access the water filter.
- Twist the ultra-fine filter counterclockwise and lift to remove it.
- Rinse the filter with warm soapy water and use a sponge to carefully remove any stuck food particles. Dont scrub with scouring pads and toothbrushes, as it can damage the ultra-fine filter.
- To remove any stains or smells, you can also dip the filter in white vinegar for 10-20 minutes.
- Insert the filter back in its place and twist it clockwise to lock it in its place.
- Make sure you check the arrow on the fine filter. It must be used as a guide to align the placement of an ultra-fine filter. It is a great idea to take a picture before removing the ultra-fine filter.
To clean the fine filter
Please note that 1-2 cups of water covering the bottom of the tub is normal on models without an ultra-fine filter in GE dishwashers. In models with an ultra-fine filter, water in the sump is normal, but the water should not cover the bottom of the tub.
Cause # : Garbage Disposal Problems
A newly installed garbage disposal can be the reason behind your GE dishwasher not draining. The drain plug may not have been removed, or a blockage in the garbage disposal can be causing draining problems.
Solution: Check garbage disposal under the sink and ensure that no valves are in the closed position. If you cant figure out whats wrong with it, call a licensed technician for inspection.
Don’t Miss: Kitchenaid Dishwasher Lower Rack Wheel Replacement
Ge Dishwasher Sensor Problem
Your dishwasher sensor detects the presence of items in the dishwasher. When the sensor does not detect the presence of items in your dishwasher, the machine will run without detecting the presence of items.
As a result, the machine will continue to run even though no dishes have been loaded into the dishwasher, causing dishes not to be washed.
To correct the issue, follow these steps:
1. Disconnect power from the appliance
2. Open the dishwasher door
3. Wait 10 minutes
4. Plug the dishwasher back in
5. Turn the dishwasher on again
6. Run a full cycle
7. If the problem still occurs, contact the manufacturer for further assistance.
Ge Dishwasher Steam Vent Problems
If your dishwasher has a problem with the steam vent. The following steps will help you troubleshoot and fix the issue.
- You must first rotate the cover counterclockwise, found on the inside of the panel, to remove the defective vent.
- Take it off the door by lifting it.
- Pull the vent off the inner door panel once the cover is no longer attached.
- Replace it with a new one.
Don’t Miss: Dishwasher Water Supply Line Connection Kit
Drain Hose Is Blocked Or Kinked
A dishwashers drain hose connects the dishwasher to the sink drain or garbage disposal to flush used water during a wash cycle. If the hose is kinked or blocked by debris, it can restrict the flow of water, and youll notice the dishwasher has standing water after cycle ends. While an experienced DIYer can address kinks and blockages, a professional can best resolve these issues.
Follow these general steps to remove drain hose clogs:
If the hose is cracked or a blockage cant be removed, it needs to be replaced.