Common Causes Of A Clogged Drain
The most common causes of a dishwasher not draining are food and cleaning products. These can clog the drain and cause it to stop working. Most are plumbed into a garbage disposal, so make sure that is not plugged as well. If the drain pump motor is bad you would be able to NOT hear it as it drains. Excess dirty dishes, with too much food debris, is the normal cause for not draining. The corrugated drain hose tends to collect these particles and clog the line. Make sure you also check the dishwasher filter as well, a commonly overlooked item.
Faulty Drain Pump Impeller
This is one of the most common repairs for a GE dishwasher that doesnt drain.
The drain impeller pushes water through the drain hose and into the drain line or garbage disposal.
When this part goes bad, the whole drain pump need to be replaced. Heres how to replace it:
This Guide Covers Most Ge Dishwasher Models Including:
The function of a drain pump in a dishwasher is to remove water from the tub after each wash cycle. The pump is usually located near the bottom of the dishwasher and is connected to the drain hose. Over time, the pump may become clogged with dirt and debris, or it may simply wear out from regular use. If the pump is not working properly, water will not be able to drain from the dishwasher and it will need to be replaced.
There are a few signs that indicate a problem with the drain pump, such as water accumulating in the tub after a wash cycle, dishes that are not getting clean, or strange noises coming from the dishwasher.
If you notice any of these issues, its best to call a qualified technician to diagnose the problem and replace the pump if necessary. Or, if youre DIY-minded, you can replace the drain pump yourself!
It can be a tricky repair to tackle on your own, but with this step-by-step guide, youll be able to do it in no time! Keep in mind that before you begin this project, you will need some basic tools and supplies. So gather up what you need and lets get started!
Note: Before replacing the drain pump, which can be costly, make sure that the filters are clear of any debris. Often, this is the problem and simply clearing the filters will fix the issue. If not, then you can move on to replacing the pump. But by checking the filters first, you could save yourself both time and money.
Read Also: Is Dishwasher Better Than Hand Washing
Chopper Blade Area Clogged With Food
The chopper blade in a dishwasher is designed to dice items removed from the dishes into small particles before being drained.
This process helps avoid a clogged sink and dishwasher line. If too much debris builds up around the chopper screen, the dishwasher can stop draining.
When this occurs your best option is to check the chopper blade for damages, and clean all debris out of the area. If the blade is damaged, youll need to replace it. Heres how to do that:
Youll know if the drain pump is bad by checking to see if the motor runs during the drain cycle. If so, theres probably a blockage in the line.
If the motor doesnt operate at all or just hums, you probably need to replace the pump and motor assembly.
How To Replace A Ge Dishwasher Drain Pump
Do you need to replace the drain pump in your GE dishwasher? Then this guide is for you. The drain pump removes the wastewater after each cycle, so when it stops working, you are unable to use your dishwasher. Thankfully, it is quite a straightforward repair to carry out.
In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions for how to remove the old drain pump and then reinstall the new pump. When replacing a part, always make sure you check that it is the manufacturers recommended part that you are using.
This guide covers most GE dishwasher models, including:
Don’t Miss: What Is Standard Dishwasher Size
Disability Profiles Supported In Our Website
- Epilepsy Safe Mode: this profile enables people with epilepsy to use the website safely by eliminating the risk of seizures that result from flashing or blinking animations and risky color combinations.
- Visually Impaired Mode: this mode adjusts the website for the convenience of users with visual impairments such as Degrading Eyesight, Tunnel Vision, Cataract, Glaucoma, and others.
- Cognitive Disability Mode: this mode provides different assistive options to help users with cognitive impairments such as Dyslexia, Autism, CVA, and others, to focus on the essential elements of the website more easily.
- ADHD Friendly Mode: this mode helps users with ADHD and Neurodevelopmental disorders to read, browse, and focus on the main website elements more easily while significantly reducing distractions.
- Blindness Mode: this mode configures the website to be compatible with screen-readers such as JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, and TalkBack. A screen-reader is software for blind users that is installed on a computer and smartphone, and websites must be compatible with it.
- Keyboard Navigation Profile : this profile enables motor-impaired persons to operate the website using the keyboard Tab, Shift+Tab, and the Enter keys. Users can also use shortcuts such as M , H , F , B , and G to jump to specific elements.
The Solution For A Ge Dishwasher Not Draining
Fixing a GE dishwasher not draining requires some knowledge of the design and function of your machine. But dont worry, weve broken it down for you. The solution to a dishwasher not draining is as follows:
1) Check to see if there is any food debris are not blocking the drain. This includes debris from plates and cups that have been left in the dishwasher overnight.
2) If nothing is blocking the drain, then you will need to remove and inspect the lower spray arm. You can do this by removing the lower spray arm and inspecting it for clogs or other obstructions.
3) Remove any debris from the lower spray arm and wipe down with a cloth. Inspect for anything unusual such as rust spots or cracks in plastic fittings.
4) Replace any damaged parts or replace whole assembly if necessary.
5) Run dishwasher on Heavy Wash cycle without adding soap. Again, check to see if it drains properly before continuing to next step .
6) Make sure that no foreign objects are left in bottom rack of dishwasher before running another full wash cycle on Heavy Wash cycle with soap added to wash dishes .
Read Also: Stainless Steel Dishwasher On Sale
How Do I Force My Ge Dishwasher To Drain
If youve noticed that your GE dishwasher isnt draining, the first thing you should do is make sure that none of the pipes under the sink are backed up. In order to do this, you need to turn off the water supply and wait a few minutes for all of the water to drain from the pipes. After this, turn on the water again and check to see if your GE dishwasher still isnt draining. If it is, then you may want to force it to drain by opening one of the dishwasher doors and letting it run until it drains completely. On some models all you do is Press and Hold the start button for 3-4 seconds, and it should start to drain.
Can I Clean Out A Ge Dishwasher Drain Pump
I have a GE GDT530 dishwasher that just went out of warranty 2 months ago. Now it’s starting to make crackling sounds when it’s draining water and it sounds like there is some debris in the drain pump. So I was wondering if it’s possible to clean out the drain pump on this dishwasher or will I have to replace the drain pump entirely?
- 1Update: The crackling sound went away by itself after a couple of months. Looks like whatever debris was stuck in there, disintegrated and washed off.Jan 31, 2017 at 18:51
- Wow, thanks for the 1.5 year update!
GE dishwasher wont drain.Washer is washing, but doesnt drain.During drain cycle you hear a hum, but no water is flowing into the garbage disposal.
Troubleshooting:Two common problems: 1. Drain hose is blocked at the garbage disposal or anti-siphon air gap connection. 2. Something is stuck in the drain pump so that the impeller blades can’t turn. That is why you hear a hum, but no water flows. The drain pump has a magnetic AC induction motor of about 45 watts and is unlikely to burn out.
Pull the dishwasher out far enough to turn it on it’s side.In many installations you will be able to slide the dishwasher out far enough to turn it on it’s side without disconnecting the hot water inlet hose. Be sure to turn the hot water valve under the sink off.
Fixing the drain pump:
Thousands of dishwasher drain pumps have been unnecessarily replaced because a small piece of junk was stuck in the impeller blades.
Also Check: Fisher And Paykel Drawer Dishwasher
Remove The Old Drain Pump
Browser And Assistive Technology Compatibility
We aim to support the widest array of browsers and assistive technologies as possible, so our users can choose the best fitting tools for them, with as few limitations as possible. Therefore, we have worked very hard to be able to support all major systems that comprise over 95% of the user market share including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Opera and Microsoft Edge, JAWS and NVDA , both for Windows and for MAC users.
Also Check: Kitchen Aid Panel Ready Dishwasher
Additional Ui Design And Readability Adjustments
Install The New Drain Pump
Recommended Reading: Dishwasher Hose To Garbage Disposal
Defective Drain Check Valve
As we briefly discussed in the beginning, the drain can become clogged with debris. When checking this area, be sure to also check the drain valve.
Over time, this part can become clogged, or even stop working all together.
First, youll want to clean the valve if there is debris present. If youve already done this, but the unit still wont actuate, youll need to replace the valve.
Again, these parts are not repairable, so youll need to buy a new one and replace.
Notes Comments And Feedback
Despite our very best efforts to allow anybody to adjust the website to their needs, there may still be pages or sections that are not fully accessible, are in the process of becoming accessible, or are lacking an adequate technological solution to make them accessible. Still, we are continually improving our accessibility, adding, updating and improving its options and features, and developing and adopting new technologies. All this is meant to reach the optimal level of accessibility, following technological advancements. For any assistance, please reach out to
Don’t Miss: Parts Diagram For Kitchenaid Dishwasher
Licensed Dishwasher Repair Service
Get a professional dishwasher repair technician from The A Team Appliance Repair to diagnose the problem with your dishwasher. With our in-home, same-day dishwasher repair service, you can expect to have the problem repaired quickly, avoiding or minimizing damage to your household. Our professional, licensed technicians arrive with everything they need to diagnose and remedy the problem at hand.
- Water is not filling the dishwasher
- The water is not draining correctly
- The detergent is failing to release
- Dishes come out dirty
- Dishes are wet at the end of the cycle
- The dishwasher is making unusual noises
- The cycle will not start
Types of Dishwashers We Repair
Our professional technicians are licensed to repair all types of imported and domestic dishwashers, including
- Built in Dishwashers
Quality & Reliable Service at Reasonable Price
We know your time is valuable, whether its a rental property , your own property, or your business, we will be there in no time, in order for your to go back to your daily business, with as little disruption as possible.
Just because our technicians work fast, does not mean that it isnt done right. Our technicians are highly experienced and use brand new, original, and high quality parts needed to complete the repair of your appliance.
Book Your Repair
How To Reset A Ge Dishwasher
Some GE dishwashers have a manual reset button that can be used if the dishwasher is not draining and has power. To do this, unplug the dishwasher and remove any objects from the lower spray arm area. Then, locate the reset button on the side of the dishwasher next to the power cord. Press and hold down on it for 5 seconds.
Read Also: Kitchen Island With Dishwasher And Sink